Re: psql \df choose functions by their arguments

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Hou, Zhijie" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \df choose functions by their arguments
Date: 2021-01-11 07:45:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I tried this patch out last year but was overrolled by Other Stuff before I got
around to providing any feedback, and was reminded of it just now when I was
trying to execute "\df somefunction text int" or similar, which had me
confused until I remembered it's not a feature yet, so it would
certainly be very
welcome to have this.

2020年11月3日(火) 23:27 Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> Thanks for looking this over!
>

>> some Abbreviations of common types are not added to the type_abbreviations[] Such as:
>>
>> Int8 => bigint
>

> I wasn't aiming to provide a canonical list, as I personally have never seen
> anyone use int8 instead of bigint when (for example) creating a function, but
> I'm not strongly opposed to expanding the list.

I have vague memories of working with "int8" a bit (possibly related to an
Informix migration), anyway it seems easy enough to add them for completeness
as someone (possibly migrating from another database) might wonder why
it's not working.

Just a small code readability suggestion - in exec_command_d(), it seems
neater to put the funcargs declaration in a block together with the
code with which uses it (see attached diff).

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com