Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date: 2022-11-27 05:15:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2022年11月22日(火) 5:50 Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>:

> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > The reason that I pushed back -- not as successfully as I would have
> > > liked -- on the changes to pg_stop_backup / pg_start_backup is that I
> > > know there are people using the old method successfully, and it's not
> > > just a 1:1 substitution. Here I don't, and it is. I'm totally open to
> > > the feedback that such people exist and to hearing why adopting one of
> > > the newer methods would be a problem for them, if that's the case. But
> > > if there's no evidence that such people exist or that changing is a
> > > problem for them, I don't think waiting 5 years on principle is good
> > > for the project.
> >
> > We make incompatible changes in every release; see the release notes.
> > Unless somebody can give a plausible use-case where this'd be a
> > difficult change to deal with, I concur that we don't need to
> > deprecate it ahead of time.
>
> Since I am the only one that seems to worry, I'll shut up. You are probably
> right that it the feature won't be missed by many users.

FWIW, though I prefer to err on the side of caution when removing features
from anything, I am struggling to remember ever having used
"promote_trigger_file"
(or "trigger_file" as it was in Pg11 and earlier); grepping my private notes
brings up a single example from ca. 2012 when I appear to have been
experimenting with replication.

On a quick web search, a large part of the results are related to its change
to a GUC in Pg 12 and/or commented out entries in sample postgresql.conf files;
most of the rest seem to be blog articles/tutorials on setting up replication.

Regards

Ian Barwick