Re: PostgreSLQ v10.1 and xlC compiler on AIX

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "OLIVA, PASCAL" <pascal(dot)oliva(at)atos(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PostgreSLQ v10.1 and xlC compiler on AIX
Date: 2017-11-23 13:08:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 7:57 PM, REIX, Tony <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net> wrote:
> We are porting PostgreSQL v10.1 on AIX (7.2 for now).
> And we have several tests failures, in 32bit and 64bit.
> We are using xlc 13.01.0003.0003 with -O2.
> Tests were 100% OK with version 9.6.2 .
>
> About 32 bit failures within v10.1, we have 3 failures including:
> create_aggregate ... FAILED
> aggregates ... FAILED
>
> I've found that these 2 failures disappear when building :
> ./src/backend/parser/gram.c
> without -O2 !
> However, this is a 44,498 lines file and it may take a while for finding the
> root issue.

When running regression tests and those fail, there is a file called
regressions.diff which gets generated in src/test/regress showing the
difference between the results generated and the results expected when
running the SQL queries which are part of the regression tests.
Attaching this file to this thread would help in determining what's
wrong with the regression tests.

> I invite anyone involved in porting/using PostgreSQL 10.1 on AIX to take
> part of a discussion about how to make v10.1 work perfectly on AIX.

Note that xlc 12.1 is tested with AIX machines on the buildfarms, but
there is no coverage for 13.1 visibly. It would be nice if you could
set up a buildfarm machine to catch problems way earlier.
--
Michael