Re: SCRAM in the PG 10 release notes

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCRAM in the PG 10 release notes
Date: 2017-09-14 07:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> I updated the list of drivers on the wiki
> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers), adding a column for
> whether the driver supports SCRAM authentication. Currently, the only
> non-libpq driver that has implemented SCRAM is the JDBC driver. I submitted
> a patch for the Go driver, but it hasn't been committed yet.

Thanks Heikki for updating. Sorry for slacking on this item.

Regarding hte Erlang driver, http://glozer.net/src/epgsql/ and
http://tilleuropa.se/pgsql are dead links, and I have found one erland
driver on github which is rather active:
https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql
This does not use libpq, and it does not support the sasl protocol.

The third driver
(https://code.google.com/archive/p/erlang-psql-driver/) exists but it
is claimed as unmaintained. Wouldn't it be better to just remove all
three from the list and replace them by the github one?

For node-postgres, I would recommend updating the third column to tell
"yes" if libpq is used, and "no" otherwise.
--
Michael