Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christoph Berg <christoph(dot)berg(at)credativ(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()
Date: 2017-12-15 11:43:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Christoph Berg
<christoph(dot)berg(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:
> To be able to identify more easily which package a connected server is
> coming from, I would like to embed the (Debian) package version in the
> version() output which is coming from PG_VERSION. It is fairly easy to
> do that, but it requires patching configure(.in):

Why reinventing the wheel when there is already --with-extra-version
that you can use for the same purpose? And I think that I can see a
bug here on HEAD, src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm correctly uses
--with-extra-version in PG_VERSION_STR but ./configure is forgetting
it. If you want to push for this proposal anyway, I think that you
should update the msvc scripts as well.
--
Michael