Re: 9.6rc1 Background worker starting multiple times

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.6rc1 Background worker starting multiple times
Date: 2016-12-20 06:42:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm not quite sure exactly how to debug this further to see what is actually
> setting the latch in 9.6.

The commit you are complaining about here is likely this one:
commit: db0f6cad4884bd4c835156d3a720d9a79dbd63a9
author: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 14:31:04 -0400
Remove set_latch_on_sigusr1 flag.

This flag has proven to be a recipe for bugs, and it doesn't seem like
it can really buy anything in terms of performance. So let's just
*always* set the process latch when we receive SIGUSR1 instead of
trying to do it only when needed.

So your process gets a SIGUSR1 and its latch is set, causing the loop
to repeat... I would discard that as a backend bug, because the
removal of set_latch_on_sigusr1 was a good move.
--
Michael