Re: Getting rid of wal_level=archive and default to hot_standby + wal_senders

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting rid of wal_level=archive and default to hot_standby + wal_senders
Date: 2015-02-03 12:58:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think these days there's no reason for the split between the archive
> and hot_standby wal levels. The split was made out of volume and
> stability concerns. I think we can by now be confident about the
> wal_level = hot_standby changes (note I'm not proposing hot_standby =
> on).
+1.

> So let's remove the split. It just gives users choice between two options
> that don't have a meaningful difference.

The last time I mentioned something similar (purely removing archive
from wal_level CA+TgmoaTG9U4=A_bs8SbdEMM2+faPQhzUjhJ7F-nPFy+BNs_zA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com),
there were two additional suggestions done as well:
- Keep archive and make it mean archive <=> hot_standby
- Do nothing to still let the users what they think is better and not
what we think is better.
Perhaps times have changed since... I guess that you mean making both
values become equivalent, right?
--
Michael