Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain
Date: 2015-12-30 12:19:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> I see that you changed INSERT and DELETE (but not UPDATE) to use
>> MatchesN rather than TailMatchesN. Shouldn't these stay with
>> TailMatchesN for the reason Tom gave above?
>
> Er, yeah. They had better be TailMatches, or even COPY DML stuff will be broken.

OK, here are new patches.
- 0001 switches a bunch of TailMatches to Matches. Do we want to care
about the case where a schema is created following by a bunch of
objects? I mean stuff like "CREATE SCHEMA hoge CREATE TABLE ..." where
the current completion would work fine. The performance gains seem
worth it compared to the number of people actually using it, the point
has just not been raised yet.
- 0002 that implements the new tab completion for backslash commands,
with the wildcard "*" as suggested by Tom.

I fixed in 0001 the stuff with DML queries, and also found one bug for
another query while re-reading the code.
Regards,
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-performance-of-psql-tab-completion.patch text/x-patch 61.8 KB
0002-Adopt-more-compact-tab-completion-for-backslash-comm.patch text/x-patch 15.3 KB