Re: Failing assertions in indxpath.c, placeholder.c and brin_minmax.c

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Failing assertions in indxpath.c, placeholder.c and brin_minmax.c
Date: 2015-07-27 01:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>
wrote:

> Michael Paquier writes:
>
> >> Footnotes:
> >> [1] https://github.com/anse1/sqlsmith
> >
> > This is really interesting stuff. I think that it would be possible to
> > extract self-contained test cases from your tool and those queries to
> > reproduce the failures. It is written that this tools connects to a
> > database to retrieve the schema, what is it exactly in the case of
> > those failures?
>
> I used the database "regression" that pg_regress leaves behind when you
> remove the --temp-install from it's default invocation through make
> check. Sorry about not being explicit about that.
>
> So, dropping one of the queries into src/test/regress/sql/smith.sql and
> invoking
>
> make check EXTRA_TESTS=smith
>
> was all that was needed to integrate them. I was then able to perform
> "git bisect run" on this command. Er, plus consing the expected output
> file.
>
> I'm using the regression db a lot when hacking on sqlsmith, as it
> contains much more nasty things than your average database.

Ah, OK. Thanks. The code is licensed as GPL, has a dependency on libpqxx
and is written in C++, so it cannot be integrated into core as a test
module in this state, but I think that it would be definitely worth having
something like that in the code tree that runs on the buildfarm. We could
have caught up those problems earlier. Now I imagine that this is a costly
run, so we had better have a switch to control if it is run or not, like a
configure option or a flag. Thoughts?
--
Michael