Re: Understanding pg_last_xlog_receive_location

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zach Walton <zacwalt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Understanding pg_last_xlog_receive_location
Date: 2017-03-02 00:36:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Zach Walton <zacwalt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I was able to test 9.4.11 and am seeing the same behavior:
>
> postgres=# SELECT pg_is_in_recovery(), pg_last_xlog_receive_location(),
> pg_last_xlog_replay_location();
> pg_is_in_recovery | pg_last_xlog_receive_location |
> pg_last_xlog_replay_location
> -------------------+-------------------------------+------------------------------
> t | | 0/3000198

Okay, you said that you are using here streaming replication, but the
standby you are performing this query on seems just to be a hot
standby recovering WAL from a WAL archive, not via streaming. I would
bet that there is no WAL receiver running.
pg_last_xlog_receive_location() get the last WAL position received
from a streaming node, something that is set to NULL if there is no
streaming happening, while pg_last_xlog_replay_location() is set by
the startup process when replaying WAL records.

Again I see no bugs here, you should check if a WAL receiver is
running on this standby server.
--
Michael