Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Date: 2016-03-15 17:11:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:

>> This has the merit to be clear, thanks for the input. Whatever the
>> approach taken at the end we have two candidates:
>> - Extend XLogInsert() with an extra argument for flags (Andres)
>> - Introduce XLogInsertExtended with this extra argument and let
>> XLogInsert() in peace (Robert and I).
>> Actually, I lied, there was still something I could do for this
>> thread: attached are two patches implementing both approaches as
>> respectively a-1 and a-2. Patch b is the set of logs I used for the
>> tests to show with a low checkpoint_timeout that checkpoints are
>> getting correctly skipped on an idle system.
>

> Unfortunately neither A nor B apply anymore.
>
> However, since the patches can still be read through I wonder if Robert or
> Andres would care to opine on whether A or B is better now that they can see
> the full implementation?
>
> For my 2c I'm happy with XLogInsertExtended() since it seems to be a rare
> use case where flags are required. This can always be refactored in the
> future if/when the use of flags spreads.
>
> I think it would be good to make a decision on this before asking Michael to
> rebase.

That's a bit embarrassing, the last versions should be able to apply
cleanly as there have not been changes in this area of the code
lately... But... I did a mistake when generating the patches by
diff'ing them from an incorrect commit number... This explains why
they exploded in size, so attached are the corrected rebased versions.
Too many patches I guess.. And both of them are attached by the way.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
hs-checkpoints-v9-b.patch text/x-patch 1.7 KB
hs-checkpoints-v9-a-1.patch text/x-patch 47.9 KB
hs-checkpoints-v9-a-2.patch text/x-patch 14.7 KB