Re: Do we need use more meaningful variables to replace 0 in catalog head files?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hao Lee <mixtrue(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Do we need use more meaningful variables to replace 0 in catalog head files?
Date: 2016-11-08 02:10:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Hao Lee <mixtrue(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It's a tedious work to figure out these numbers real meaning. for example,
> if i want to know the value of '71' represent what it is. I should go back
> to refer to definition of pg_class struct. It's a tedious work and it's not
> maintainable or readable. I THINK WE SHOULD USE a meaningful variable
> instead of '71'. For Example:
>
> #define PG_TYPE_RELTYPE 71

You'd need to make genbki.pl smarter regarding the way to associate
those variables with the defined variables, greatly increasing the
amount of work it is doing as well as its maintenance (see for PGUID
handling for example). I am not saying that this is undoable, just
that the complexity may not be worth the potential readability gains.
--
Michael