installcheck failing on psql_crosstab

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: installcheck failing on psql_crosstab
Date: 2016-06-06 08:04:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

With a low value of work_mem, like 1MB, I am noticing that the new
psql_crosstab is generating a couple of diffs with installcheck
(tested only on OSX 10.11):
***************
*** 127,134 ****
\crosstabview v h i
v | h0 | h1 | h2 | h4 | #null#
----+--------+----+----+----+--------
! v1 | #null# | | 3 +| |
! | | | 7 | |
v2 | | 3 | | |
v0 | | | | 4 +| 5
| | | | -3 |
--- 127,134 ----
\crosstabview v h i
v | h0 | h1 | h2 | h4 | #null#
----+--------+----+----+----+--------
! v1 | #null# | | 7 +| |
! | | | 3 | |
v2 | | 3 | | |
v0 | | | | 4 +| 5
| | | | -3 |
***************
*** 143,150 ****
----+------+-----+-----
h0 | baz | |
h1 | | bar |
! h2 | foo +| |
! | quux | |
h4 | | | qux+
| | | dbl
| | | qux
--- 143,150 ----
----+------+-----+-----
h0 | baz | |
h1 | | bar |
! h2 | quux+| |
! | foo | |
h4 | | | qux+
| | | dbl
| | | qux
***************
*** 156,163 ****
\crosstabview 1 "h" 4
v | h0 | h1 | h2 | h4 |
----+-----+-----+------+-----+-----
! v1 | baz | | foo +| |
! | | | quux | |
v2 | | bar | | |
v0 | | | | qux+| qux
| | | | dbl |
--- 156,163 ----
\crosstabview 1 "h" 4
v | h0 | h1 | h2 | h4 |
----+-----+-----+------+-----+-----
! v1 | baz | | quux+| |
! | | | foo | |
v2 | | bar | | |
v0 | | | | qux+| qux
| | | | dbl |

I know that we guarantee that make installcheck may not work on many
target servers as a lot of tests are very GUC-sensitive, but this
looks a bit oversensitive to me, especially knowing that it is the
only diff generated by the whole test suite.
Don't you think that those tests could be made more portable?
Regards,
--
Michael