Re: Shaky coding for vacuuming partitioned relations

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Shaky coding for vacuuming partitioned relations
Date: 2017-09-26 02:14:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> On 2017/09/26 9:51, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Something like that looks like a good compromise for v10. I would
>>> rather see a more complete fix with each relation name reported
>>> correctly on HEAD though. The information provided would be useful for
>>> users when using autovacuum when skipping a relation because no lock
>>> could be taken on it.
>>
>> Actually, perhaps this should be tracked as an open item? A simple fix
>> is leading to the path that no information is better than misleading
>> information in this case.
>
> +1.

Let's track it then and spawn a separate thread with a patch. Do you
want to work on it or should I? The solution proposed by Tom seems
like the correct answer. I am adding an item for now, we could always
link it to a thread later on.

Let's also track the problem that has been reported on this thread.
--
Michael