Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date: 2016-01-12 04:55:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM, David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> > The extra line doesn't both me and given the length of the timestamp I
>> > suspect many titles would cause the combined line length to exceed
>> > terminal
>> > width and cause wrapping anyway. In my specific case it would though I
>> > am
>> > using an abnormally narrow width.
>>
>> You speak as though the title will be chosen without any regard for the
>> context it's used in, which I rather doubt. Wouldn't people pick the
>> title for a \watch query so that it fits? (In any case they could
>> force the issue by including a \n in their title...)
>>

> True that.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion either way. Having a single, condensed, title
> line would be nice though using two in order to not be cryptic has its own
> appeal.

Just looking at that I just hacked the attached that enforces \n at
the end of the user-defined title (that's easily changeable):
=# \pset title 'foo bar'
Title is "foo bar".
=# select 1;
foo bar
?column?
----------
1
(1 row)
=# \watch 1
foo bar
Watch every 1s Tue Jan 12 13:54:04 2016

?column?
1
(1 row)
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql_watch_title.patch application/x-patch 1.8 KB