Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory
Date: 2013-03-27 14:15:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 27 March 2013 12:59, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Also, based on Greg's spec (that Robert and I basically agreed on), if
> > recovery.conf is found at the root of data folder an error is returned to
> > user, recommending him to migrate correctly by referring to dedicated
> > documentation.
>
> I'm following what was agreed on 24 December.
>
> We can have the whole debate again, if you wish. There is no reason to
> break backwards compatibility to get what we want.

OK here is an idea I just got: why not replacing the possibility to define
a custom repository for recovery.conf by the possibility to define a custom
*file*?

Here would be the plan:
1) we move all the recovery parameters to GUC as proposed Masao's patch
(and somewhat my patch now).
2) as default, the custom file that is used to trigger recovery is called
recovery.conf and needs to be located in data folder. This could be the
default value used by this feature.
3) When migrating to the new system, we recommend users to include
recovery.conf with include_if_exists. Even better, we add by default an
include_if_exists during initdb in postgresql.conf to include recovery.conf.

If we do that users don't even need to perform any migration operation.
You don't even need to maintain two parsing interfaces for recovery
parameters, and you don't even need to think about things like which file
has the priority on the other.
So happy end.
--
Michael