Re: src/test/subscription/t/005_encoding.pl is broken

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2017-09-20 05:32:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> That would indicate that something isn't ever retrying the worker
> start; but if that's the case, how is it that we get through the
> other subscription tests with my random-failure patch in place?

I have been able to dig into this issue further, and the problem is
indeed in the wait logic of 005_encoding.pl. It is important to wait
for the initial sync of the subscriber to happen. There is no need to
incorporate the additional wait query in wait_for_caught_up() as well.
Please see the attached which fixes the stability problems for me even
after forcing failures in launcher.c.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
tap-subs-encoding.patch application/octet-stream 739 bytes