Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-08-31 00:53:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 03:31:10PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I realized that we would never get community acceptance to dump the
> XC
> > (or XL) code needed for sharding into community Postgres
> >

> > How or why did you realize that? There has never been any such
> discussion,
> > AFAIK. Surely it can be possible to move required subsystems across?
>
> Well, I have had many such discussions with XC/XL folks, and that was my
> opinion. I have seen almost no public discussion about this because the
> idea had almost no chance of success. If it was possible, someone would
> have already suggested it on this list.

Or perhaps people invested in this area had other obligations or lacked
motivation and/or time to work to push up for things in core. That's not
possible to know, and what is done is done.

> > July, 2015: Oleg Bartunov and his new company Postgres Professional
> (PP)
> > started to think about joining the FDW approach, rather than working
> on
> > XL, as they had stated at PGCon in June. A joint NTT/EDB/PP phone-in
> > meeting is scheduled for September 1.
> >
> > August, 2015: While speaking at SFPUG, Citus Data approached me
> about
> > joining the FDW sharding team. They have been invited to the
> September
> > 1 meeting, as have the XC and XL people.
> >

> > 2ndQuadrant is working in this area, specifically bringing XL 9.5
> forwards.
>
> Yes, I saw the blog post about that:
>
> http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/working-towards-postgres-xl-9-5/
>
> > Please can invites be posted to myself, Pavan Deolasee and Petr Jelinek
> also?
> > I'll pass on to others also.
>
> OK, I will send you a separate email and you can then supply their email
> addresses.

FWIW, I would be interested in that as well. I worked in this area of
things for a couple of years as well FWIW.

> > Koichi Suzuki is arranging a meeting in Hong Long for XC/XL discussions.
> > Presumably EDB is invited also? If Koichi is a leading organizer of
> this, why
> > are there two meetings?
>
> I certainly have heard nothing about it, except third-hand people
> telling me a meeting is happening. I assumed those meetings where
> XC/XL-specific.

Yep, that's my understanding as well and AFAIK as I know things have been
carried this way until now, aka XC/XL and Postgres core are aimed to live
as separate communities.
--
Michael