Re: mat views stats

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mat views stats
Date: 2017-03-02 01:39:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>> > Certainly easier, but I don't think it'd be better. Matviews really
>> > aren't
>> > the same thing as tables. Off-hand (without reviewing the patch), update
>> > and
>> > delete counts certainly wouldn't make any sense. "Insert" counts might,
>> > in
>> > as much as it's how many rows have been added by refreshes. You'd want a
>> > refresh count too.
>>
>> Regular REFRESH truncates the view and repopulates it, but REFRESH
>> CONCURRENTLY does inserts, updates, and deletes as needed to adjust
>> the contrs that make sense for
>> regular tables are also sensible here.
>>

> After digging into things further, just making refresh report the stats for
> what is it basically doing simplifies and solves it and it is something we
> can back patch if that the consensus. See the attached patch.

This is unhappy:
$ git diff master --check
src/backend/commands/matview.c:155: indent with spaces.
+ uint64 processed = 0;

+ /*
+ * Send the stats to mimic what we are essentially doing.
+ * A truncate and insert
+ */
This sentence is unfinished.

There is also no need to report the number of inserts if WITH NO DATA is used.
--
Michael