Re: Enabling replication connections by default in pg_hba.conf

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Enabling replication connections by default in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2017-03-07 02:11:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 3/3/17 20:30, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Yeah, it looks sensible to me to keep "replication" for physical
>> replication, and switch logical replication checks to match a database
>> name in hba comparisons.
>
> I think we are OK to move ahead with this.
>
> Another question would be why only enable connections for
> @default_username@ by default, instead of all.

That would make sense as well.

> Also, with this change, some test code that sets up pg_hba.conf for
> replication can be removed. See attached patch.

Indeed.

I think that the documentation of initdb should mention that
pg_hba.conf entries are configured for replication connections as
well, something like a sentence in the Description paragraph:
initdb sets pg_hba.conf entries using the specified authentication
method (trust by default) for non-replication as well as replication
connections.

What do you think?
--
Michael