Re: TAP tests are badly named

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TAP tests are badly named
Date: 2015-08-17 00:30:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
>> >I endorse Heikki's argument for having omitted the configuration flag:
>> >http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/55B90161.5090506@iki.fi
>>

>> That argument is not correct. None of the tap tests can be run via make if
>> --enable-tap-tests is not set. This doesn't just apply to the check-world
>> target as Heikki asserted. Have a look at the definitions of prove_check and
>> prove_installcheck in src/Makefile.global.in if you don't believe me.
>
> While that one piece of Heikki's argument was in error, I didn't feel that it
> affected the conclusion. Please reply to the aforementioned email to dispute
> the decision; some involved parties may not be following this thread.

FWIW, I agree with Andrew's approach here. We are going to need this
parameter switch once TAP routines are used in another code path than
src/bin to control if a test can be run or not based on the presence
of t/ and the value of this parameter. See for example the patch aimed
at testing dumpable tables with pg_dump which should be part of the
target modulescheck as argued upthread.
My 2c.
--
Michael