Re: pg_rewind in contrib

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <mpaquier(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind in contrib
Date: 2015-01-06 23:45:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Also, since you have been maintaining this tool for a while, what is the
> effort for maintaining it from version to version?
From my own experience, the main source of maintenance across major
versions is the modification of the WAL record format to be able to
track the blocks that need to be copied from the newly promoted master
to the node rewound. That has been an ongoing effort on REL9_4_STABLE
and REL9_3_STABLE since this tool has been created when both versions
were in development to keep the tool compatible all the time. This
problem does not exist anymore on master thanks to the new WAL format
able to track easily the blocks modified, limiting the maintenance
necessary to actual bugs.
--
Michael