Re: Detailed progress reporting for "vacuuming indexes" stage

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Shchapov <alexanderad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Detailed progress reporting for "vacuuming indexes" stage
Date: 2017-01-25 01:37:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Alexander Shchapov
<alexanderad(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Michael Paquier
>> What would be more interesting would be like the heap to get
>> information on the index block being cleaned up with reports being
>> done via index_bulk_delete(). That's more work, and that would be more
>> helpful than just a number.
>>
>> So patches welcome.
>
> Thanks for the reply and a tip, Michael.
> Do I get it correctly, that you suggesting to calculate something like
> index_blks_total and increment index_blks_vacuumed?

Something like that may be helpful as vacuum is basically triggering a
bulk deletion on the indexes vacuumed. What makes the thing tricky is
how to integrate that correctly with index AMs. So while it can be
done, it deserves careful thoughts.
--
Michael