Re: [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternative hosts when some errors occur

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternative hosts when some errors occur
Date: 2017-05-12 04:42:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> Likewise, when the first host has already reached max_connections, libpq doesn't attempt the connection aginst later hosts.

It seems to me that the feature is behaving as wanted. Or in short
attempt to connect to the next host only if a connection cannot be
established. If there is a failure once the exchange with the server
has begun, just consider it as a hard failure. This is an important
property for authentication and SSL connection failures actually.
--
Michael