Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012
Date: 2015-07-03 08:01:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 04/10/2015 01:46 PM, chenhj wrote:
> I was about to commit the attached, but when I tested this between my
> Windows 8.1 virtual machine and Linux host, I was not able to see any
> performance difference. It may be because the case is hobbled by other
> inefficiencies, in the virtualization or somewhere else, but I wonder if
> others can reproduce the speedup?

I just gave this a shot in a 8.1 VM, but I could not reproduce a
speedup of more than a couple of percents (sorry no servers
available), still this seemed to be some noise.

The approach taken by this patch sounds safe enough to me that it
should be applied. I mean, we know that on Win8/2k12 the default
socket buffer size is 64k so reducing it to 32k would hurt
performance.

By the way, perhaps the link mentioned in this code should be updated
to this one, visibly microsoft has changed an bit the URL shape:
A refresh would not hurt.
--
Michael