Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption
Date: 2016-06-13 05:17:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I feel separate file is better to include the key data instead of pg_control
>> file.
>
> I guess that would be more flexible. However I think at least the fact
> that the database is encrypted should remain in the control file to
> provide useful error messages for faulty backup procedures.

Another possibility could be always to do some encryption at data-type
level for text data. For example I recalled the following thing while
going through this thread:
https://github.com/nec-postgres/tdeforpg
Though I don't quite understand the use for encrypt.enable in this
code... This has the advantage to not patch upstream.
--
Michael