Re: Per-table log_autovacuum_min_duration is actually documented

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Per-table log_autovacuum_min_duration is actually documented
Date: 2015-11-11 01:59:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> This is actually documented in src/sgml/ref/create_table.sgml with the
>> following paragraph so this mention in the release notes does not seem
>> needed:
>> log_autovacuum_min_duration, toast.log_autovacuum_min_duration (integer)
>> Custom log_autovacuum_min_duration parameter.
>
> Hmm ... that doesn't seem exactly transparent; what does "custom" mean?

In this context, "custom" means a per-table value that is used instead
of the server-wide value if defined. Its toast equivalent uses the
per-table value if not defined explicitly. The other autovacuum
parameters are using the same formulation.

> Should it read "Overrides log_autovacuum_min_duration for autovacuum
> operations on this specific table or toast table"?

The same applied for all the other autovacuum and autoanalyze
parameters. Do you think that we should add in the top paragraph of
section "Storage Parameters" a mention of the type "If this parameter
has a server-wide equivalent parameter, the per-table value overrides
its server-wide equivalent if defined" or similar.
--
Michael