Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Date: 2016-11-09 00:27:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 5:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
>> I dropped the ball on this one back in July, so here's an attempt to revive
>> this thread.
>>
>> I spent some time fixing the remaining issues with the prototype patch I
>> posted earlier, and rebased that on top of current git master. See attached.
>>
>> Some review of that would be nice. If there are no major issues with it, I'm
>> going to create backpatchable versions of this for 9.4 and below.
>
> Are you going to do commit something here? This thread and patch are
> now 14 months old, which is a long time to make people wait for a bug
> fix. The status in the CF is "Ready for Committer" although I am not
> sure if that's accurate.

"Needs Review" is definitely a better definition of its current state.
The last time I had a look at this patch I thought that it was in
pretty good shape (not Horiguchi-san's version, but the one in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqR+3JjS=JB3R=AxxkXCyEB-q77U-ERW7_uKAJCtWNTfrg@mail.gmail.com).
With some of the recent changes, surely it needs a second look, things
related to heap handling tend to rot quickly.

I'll look into it once again by the end of this week if Heikki does
not show up, the rest will be on him I am afraid...
--
Michael