Raspberry PI vs Raspberry PI 2: time to compile backend code

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Raspberry PI vs Raspberry PI 2: time to compile backend code
Date: 2015-02-23 23:55:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

This is a purely informational email...
I have put my hands on a Raspberry PI 2, and I have found that it takes 6
minutes to compile the backend code using the 4 cores of the ARMv7
processor, and close to 20 minutes on a single core (without ccache). The
test has been done using ArchLinux ARM with a micro SD card of class 10
(said to be able to manage 50MB/s in write, 60MB/s in read).
In comparison, the buildfarm machine hamster, which is a Rasp PI 1, takes
close to 2 hours to do the same operation, using the same OS and a similar
class 10 card (30MB/s but the I/O is not the bottleneck).

Regards,
--
Michael