Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date: 2016-09-30 05:45:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> +1 for pg_xlog -> pg_wal.

This is clearly the winner here and...

> Of the existing suggestions, would like to add my vote for the
> following renames, matching pg_multixact:
>
> pg_clog -> pg_xact
> pg_subtrans -> pg_subxact
>
> If longer names are on the table, I would consider expanding all three of those:
>
> pg_clog -> pg_transaction

This one sounds like the consensus by what I am reading upthread.

> pg_subtrans -> pg_subtransaction
> pg_multixact -> pg_multitransaction
>
> They sound eminently non-deletable.

Well the original complain was that users tend to remove the entries
that include *log. I am not sure if it is worth worrying about doing
that much.

Anyway, those patches have rotten because of the commits of yesterday
for initdb and basebackup.c (stuff I wrote and/or reviewed actually).
So attached is a rebased set. 0001 does the work for pg_wal, 0002 for
pg_transaction.

As there have been no reviews at code level, I am moving that to the next CF.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Rename-pg_xlog-to-pg_wal.patch text/x-diff 69.9 KB
0002-Rename-pg_clog-to-pg_transaction.patch text/x-diff 36.7 KB