Re: WIP: SCRAM authentication

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: SCRAM authentication
Date: 2015-08-13 01:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> The only case where I can see multiple verifiers per role making a real
>> difference in migrations is for PGAAS hosting. But the folks from
>> Heroku and AWS have been notably silent on this; lemme ping them.
>
> While their insight is certainly valuable, they are certainly not the
> only cases of one-user-to-rule-them-all environments. Further, there's
> going to be cases where multiple applications from different languages
> are accessing the database through the same account because there's only
> one account.
>
> I'd rather not punt on those cases and, further, assume that we'll
> always be able to keep it to only one password verifier per account. As
> I tried to outline up-thread, there are a set of features which would be
> very nice for us to have which require further information to be saved
> beyond even these different password verifiers for each.

While looking at this stuff, I have been wondering as well about
moving the validutil field into the verifier catalog as well for
example. That's one.

> As mentioned elsewhere, even SCRAM is possible of having multiple
> password verifiers based on the various algorithms used. In other
> words, I doubt the 'only one password verifier per role' approach is
> going to work out for us long term in any case.

SCRAM is a definition for an authorization protocol which includes
many verifiers, and the minimal requirement to consider that SCRAM is
implemented in a system is to have SCRAM-SHA1, per here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5802
For example we may want to have in parallel one verifier for
SCRAM-SHA1 and one for SCRAM-SHA256 for the same user, and I think
that we cannot close the door either to other SASL protocols, which is
why it may make sense to split the SCRAM patch into two with the basic
message protocol infrastructure in place.
--
Michael