Re: BUG #13916: Only the install user can be defined in the new cluster

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: reiner(dot)peterke(at)splendiddata(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #13916: Only the install user can be defined in the new cluster
Date: 2016-02-09 12:03:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 6:40 PM, <reiner(dot)peterke(at)splendiddata(dot)com> wrote:
> This appears buggy to me or at least inconsistent.
> using pg_upgrade to upgrade from 9.4.5 to 9.5.0
> the upgrade runs then at the end prints.
> Only the install user can be defined in the new cluster.
> Failure, exiting

This error message comes from the following bit in pg_upgrade:
/*
* We only allow the install user in the new cluster because other defined
* users might match users defined in the old cluster and generate an
* error during pg_dump restore.
*/
if (cluster == &new_cluster && atooid(PQgetvalue(res, 0, 0)) != 1)
pg_fatal("Only the install user can be defined in the new cluster.\n");

This means that when running pg_upgrade there should not be users
created in the new cluster deployed except the user created for
installation. So, didn't you create extra users in your new cluster
before running pg_upgrade? I am not really seeing a bug here.
--
Michael