Re: add more NLS to bin

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add more NLS to bin
Date: 2016-11-05 12:03:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 11/3/16 7:17 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> This patch not being complicated, so I would vote for those being
>> addressed now so as they are not forgotten even if there is a FIXME
>> flag added. Perhaps you don't think so, and as that's a minor issue
>> I'll be fine with your judgement as well.
>
> OK, I just wrapped it in translation markers as is, which should work
> well enough.

Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with that.

>>> Which specific lines do you have in mind?
>>
>> The verbose logs at the top. In pg_rewind for example those logs are
>> getting translated via the pg_log() calls used with PG_DEBUG.
>
> Yeah that was wrong anyway. The previously existing translation markers
> were wrong. We want to translate the fmt, not the formatted message.

Does using one way or the other actually change something? Because
pg_rewind/logging.c is not marking fmt but the message, the opposite
of your v2 patch. One way or the other, having consistency for both
would be nice.

The patch looks good to me, the instructions for the script could be
changed... But you are right let's not mess up with non-ASCII
characters in it, like from some Asian language translation.
--
Michael