Re: increasing the default WAL segment size

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date: 2017-01-21 00:00:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Michael Paquier
>>>
>>> I tried that and it worked out pretty well, so I'm inclined to go with
>>> this approach. Proposed patches attached. 0001 adds the new
>>> DestReceiver type, and 0002 is a revised patch to implement the SHOW
>>> command itself.
>>>
>>> Thoughts, comments?
>>
>> This looks like a sensible approach to me. DestRemoteSimple could be
>> useful for background workers that are not connected to a database as
>> well. Isn't there a problem with PGC_REAL parameters?
>
> No, because the output of SHOW is always of type text, regardless of
> the type of the GUC.

Thinking about that over night, that looks pretty nice. What would be
nicer though would be to add INT8OID and BYTEAOID in the list, and
convert as well the other replication commands. At the end, I think
that we should finish by being able to remove all pq_* routine
dependencies in walsender.c, saving quite a couple of lines.
--
Michael