Re: Testing Extension Upgrade Paths

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Testing Extension Upgrade Paths
Date: 2017-12-11 23:25:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I understand how to setup a regression suite for a postgres extension, but
> what I'm not clear on from the docs is if there is a pattern that exists for
> testing not only the latest version of an extension, but also an upgraded
> previous version.
>
> Is there any straightforward way to do this that doesn't involve manually
> copying tests?

It is perfectly possible to do tests on a specific version and test
upgrade paths using CREATE EXTENSION and ALTER EXTENSION which support
versioning in a SQL regression script, say:
CREATE EXTENSION foo VERSION "0.1";
-- Do stuff
ALTER EXTENSION foo UPDATE TO "0.2";
-- Do other stuff

> P.S. is this the right list for extension dev questions ???

You are sure to get answers here, most folks on this list have likely
the experience of working on extensions.
--
Michael