Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add function to import operating system collations

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add function to import operating system collations
Date: 2017-01-22 08:47:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:28 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> On 1/21/17 12:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I have to question the decision to make "no locales" a hard error.
>>> What's the point of that? In fact, should we even be bothering with
>>> a warning, considering how often initdb runs unattended these days?
>
>> Hmm, it was a warning in initdb, so making it an error now is probably a
>> mistake. We should change it back to a warning at least.
>
> I'd drop it altogether I think ... it was useful debug back in the day
> but now I doubt it is worth much.
>
>> Also, if we add ICU initialization to this, then it's not clear how we
>> would report if one provider provided zero locales but another did
>> provide some.
>
> Would it help to redefine the function as returning the number of locale
> entries it successfully added?

It would be nice at least to avoid an error, still even if we decide
to keep it an error I can add a couple of locales in hamster and
dangomushi and we are good to go in the buildfarm. Regarding the
warning, I have found it useful a couple of times on ArchLinux where
no locales are enabled by default.
--
Michael