Re: no test programs in contrib

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: no test programs in contrib
Date: 2014-12-18 03:04:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> I also attach some changes for the MSVC build stuff. I tested it and it
> builds fine AFAICT, but it doesn't install because Install.pm wants to
> install contrib modules from contrib/ (which seems reasonable) but my
> hack adds the src/test/modules/ as contrib modules also, so Install.pm
> goes bonkers. I'm not even sure *what* we're supposed to build -- there
> is no distinction in these programs as there is in the makefiles about
> what to install. So if some Windows developer can look into this, I'd
> appreciate it.

It would be good to be consistent on Windows with what is now done on other
platforms: those modules should not be installed by default, but it would
be good to make install.pm a bit smarter with for example an option "full",
aka install server + client + test modules. Building them is worth it in
any case as they can be used with modulescheck.
My 2c.
--
Michael