Re: renaming pg_resetxlog to pg_resetwal has broken pg_upgrade.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: renaming pg_resetxlog to pg_resetwal has broken pg_upgrade.
Date: 2017-02-14 02:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> check for "/usr/local/pgsql9_6/bin/pg_resetwal" failed: No such file or
> directory
>
> This looks somewhat complicated to fix. Should check_bin_dir test the old
> cluster version, and make a deterministic check based on that? Or just
> check for either spelling, and stash the successful result somewhere?

The fix does not seem that complicated to me. get_bin_version() just
needs pg_ctl to be present, so we could move that in check_bin_dir()
after looking if pg_ctl is in a valid state, and reuse the version of
bin_version to see if the binary version is post-10 or not. Then the
decision making just depends on this value. Please see the patch
attached, this is passing 9.6->10 and check-world.

I have added as well an open item on the wiki.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgupgrade-rename-fix.patch application/octet-stream 5.0 KB