Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date: 2017-01-18 05:30:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> The latest versions document this precisely, but I agree with Peter's concern
> about plain "scram". Suppose it's 2025 and PostgreSQL support SASL mechanisms
> OAUTHBEARER, SCRAM-SHA-256, SCRAM-SHA-256-PLUS, and SCRAM-SHA3-512. What
> should the pg_hba.conf options look like at that time? I don't think having a
> single "scram" option fits in such a world.

Sure.

> I see two strategies that fit:
>
> 1. Single "sasl" option, with a GUC, similar to ssl_ciphers, controlling the
> mechanisms to offer.
> 2. Separate options "scram_sha_256", "scram_sha3_512", "oauthbearer", etc.

Or we could have a sasl option, with a mandatory array of mechanisms
to define one or more items, so method entries in pg_hba.conf would
look llke that:
sasl mechanism=scram_sha_256,scram_sha3_512

Users could define different methods in each hba line once a user and
a database map. I am not sure if many people would care about that
though.
--
Michael