Re: PgFDW connection invalidation by ALTER SERVER/ALTER USER MAPPING

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, fcs1(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl
Subject: Re: PgFDW connection invalidation by ALTER SERVER/ALTER USER MAPPING
Date: 2017-07-21 05:55:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
>> Finally, I added a new TAP test library PsqlSession. It offers
>> interactive psql sessions. Then added a simple test to
>> postgres_fdw using it.
>
> Hmm, I think this can be very useful for other things. Let's keep this
> in mind to use in the future, even if we find another way to fix the
> issue at hand. In fact, I had a problem a couple of weeks ago in which
> I needed two concurrent sessions and one of them disconnected in the
> middle of the test.

Agreed, I wanted the ability to hold a session at hand a couple of
times already for tests. And I agree with the point of having a
separate discussion for such things out of the scope of a bug fix.
Thinking larger, I think that it would be more helpful to hold
processes and run commands in parallel, say for pg_receivewal.

> Can't do that with isolationtester ...

In the pglogical fork of Postgres, you guys improved isolationtester
to handle multiple hosts, right? That sounds harder to integrate than
a perl module though, as isolation tester starts only one server.
--
Michael