Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands
Date: 2017-09-07 07:33:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> I've attached v1 of this patch. I think we might want to refactor the
> code for retrieving the relation name from a RangeVar, but it would
> probably be better to do that in a separate patch.

Using the patch checking for duplicate columns:
=# create table aa (a int);
CREATE TABLE
=# vacuum ANALYZE aa(z, z);
ERROR: 0A000: column lists cannot have duplicate entries
HINT: the column list specified for relation "aa" contains duplicates
LOCATION: check_column_lists, vacuum.c:619
Shouldn't the priority be given to undefined columns instead of
duplicates? You may want to add a test for that as well.
--
Michael