Re: split builtins.h to quote.h

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date: 2014-10-13 13:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> * Noah Misch (noah(at)leadboat(dot)com) wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed. If the patch preserved compatibility by having builtins.h include
>>> quote.h, I would not object.
>>
>> That seems reasonable to me also- though I'd caveat it as "for now" and
>> make sure to make a note of the reason it's included in the comments...
>
> Yuck. I think if we're going to break it, we should just break it.
> No significant advantage will be gained by splitting it out and then
> #including it; nobody's really going to fix their module builds until
> they actually break.
> On the general substance of the issue, our usual convention is that
> src/backend/X/Y/Z.c has its prototypes in src/include/X/Z.h. If this
> proposal moves us closer to that, I'm OK with enduring the module
> breakage that will result. If, on the other hand, it in moves us
> further away from that, then I'm against it.

That's a 2/2 tie then AFAIK: Noah and Stephen express concerns about
the breakage, you and I would be fine with a clear breakage to make
code more organized (correct me if you don't feel this way).

> What I find strange about the actual patch is that it moves some but
> not all of the prototypes for the stuff that ends up in quote.c into
> quote.h. That doesn't seem right.
Are you referring to the Datum quote_*(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS) that are
still let in builtins.h? That was let on purpose to let all the SQL
functions within builtins.h but I'd be happy to move everything to
quote.h to make the separation clearer.
--
Michael