Re: Regression stoping PostgreSQL 9.4.13 if a walsender is running

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Regression stoping PostgreSQL 9.4.13 if a walsender is running
Date: 2017-08-23 00:52:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:28 AM, Marco Nenciarini
<marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it> wrote:
> I have noticed that after the 9.4.13 release PostgreSQL reliably fails
> to shutdown with smart and fast method if there is a running walsender.
>
> The postmaster continues waiting forever for the walsender termination.
>
> It works perfectly with all the other major releases.

Right. A similar issue has been reported yesterday:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA5_DuD0O1XyM8OnOzhRepyPU-t8nZKLzs1pT2JpzP0NS+vVNA@mail.gmail.com
Thanks for digging into the origin of the problem, I was lacking of
time yesterday to look at it.

> I bisected the issue to commit 1cdc0ab9c180222a94e1ea11402e728688ddc37d
>
> After some investigation I discovered that the instruction that sets
> got_SIGUSR2 was lost during the backpatch in the WalSndLastCycleHandler
> function.

That looks correct to me, only REL9_4_STABLE is impacted. This bug
breaks many use cases like failovers :(
--
Michael