Re: Triggers on foreign tables

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ronan Dunklau <rdunklau(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Triggers on foreign tables
Date: 2013-09-11 13:27:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Ronan Dunklau <rdunklau(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I wanted to know what it would take to implement triggers on foreign tables.
> It seems that statement-level triggers can work provided they are allowed in
> the code.
>
> Please find attached a simple POC patch that implement just that.
>
> For row-level triggers, it seems more complicated. From what I understand,
> OLD/NEW tuples are fetched from the heap using their ctid (except for BEFORE
> INSERT triggers). How could this be adapted for foreign tables ?
As your patch is targeting the implementation of a new feature, please
consider adding this patch to the next commit fest that is going to
begin in a couple of days:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=19

More general information on how patches are processed is findable here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch
Regards,
--
Michael