Re: pg_rewind test race condition..?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind test race condition..?
Date: 2016-03-26 12:27:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> Another thought would be to provide an option to pg_rewind to have it do
> an explicit checkpoint before it reads the control file.. I'm not
> against having it simply always do it as I don't see pg_rewind being a
> commonly run thing, but I know some environments have very heavy
> checkpoints and that might not be ideal.

Waking an old thread. It seems to me that such an option would still
be useful when rewinding using a stream so as an inconsistent control
file is not read. The default should definitely be to not issue this
checkpoint, but in some environments I believe that this could really
matter, say two failovers followed by two rewinds done consequently.
Thoughts?
--
Michael