Re: CREATE SEQUENCE minvalue for descending sequence

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Klemens Eisenstecken <klemens(dot)eisenstecken(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE SEQUENCE minvalue for descending sequence
Date: 2017-08-17 02:14:22
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Klemens Eisenstecken
<klemens(dot)eisenstecken(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while reading your documentation about create sequence I found that you
> mention the minvalue for a descending sequence is -2^63-1.
>
> But as far as I know the minvalue of long is -2^63+1.
>
> The mentioned documentation is at:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createsequence.html

Logically the minimum value of long is -2^63, the maximum being 2^63 -
1, but as you say the default minvalue of a descending sequence is
-2^63 + 1, so the docs are wrong. Note that Postgres has changed this
idiotic minimal value behavior in 10, using now the real minimum value
of the types used with a sequence.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
createseq-docfix.patch application/octet-stream 667 bytes