Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, obartunov <obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Borodin Vladimir <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots
Date: 2017-07-18 10:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Alexander Kuzmenkov
<a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Glad to see you working on this! I've been studying this topic too. Attached
> you can find a recently rebased version of Heikki's v4 patch.
> I also fixed a bug that appeared on report-receipts isolation test:
> XidIsConcurrent should report that a transaction is concurrent to ours when
> its csn equals our snapshotcsn.

I am finally looking at rebasing things properly now, and getting more
familiar in order to come up with a patch for the upcoming coming fest
(I can see some diff simplifications as well to impact less existing
applications), and this v5 is very suspicious. You are adding code
that should actually be removed. One such block can be found at the
beginning of the patch:
<indexterm>
+ <primary>txid_snapshot_xip</primary>
+ </indexterm>
+
+ <indexterm>
That's not actually a problem as I am reusing an older v4 from Heikki
now for the future, but I wanted to let you know about that first.
--
Michael