Combinations of pg_strdup/free in pg_dump code

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Combinations of pg_strdup/free in pg_dump code
Date: 2016-03-28 13:42:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

While reading some code of pg_dump, I noticed that the following
pattern is heavily present:
lanname = pg_strdup(stuff)
free(lanname);

One example is for example that:
lanname = get_language_name(fout, transforminfo[i].trflang);
if (typeInfo && lanname)
appendPQExpBuffer(&namebuf, "%s %s",
typeInfo->dobj.name, lanname);
transforminfo[i].dobj.name = namebuf.data;
free(lanname);
And get_language_name() uses pg_strdup() to allocate the string freed here.

When pg_strdup or any pg-related allocation routines are called, I
think that we should use pg_free() and not free(). It does not matter
much in practice because pg_free() calls actually free() and the
latter per the POSIX spec should do nothing if the input pointer is
NULL (some version of SunOS that crash on that actually :p), but we
really had better be consistent in the calls done. Thoughts?
--
Michael