Adding pipe support to pg_dump and pg_restore

From: David Hedberg <david(dot)hedberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adding pipe support to pg_dump and pg_restore
Date: 2018-09-29 12:51:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I recently wanted a way to encrypt/decrypt backups while still
utilizing the parallel dump/restore functionality. I couldn't see a
way to do this so I experimented a bit with the directory backup
format. If there's in fact already a way to do this, please tell me
now :-)

The idea is to add a --pipe option to pg_dump / pg_restore where you
can specify a custom shell command that is used to write / read each
.dat-file. Usage examples include encryption with pgp and/or custom
compression pipelines. %p in the command is expanded to the path to
write to / read from. The pipe command is not applied to the toc.

The current version is attached. Could something like this be
acceptable for inclusion?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-support-for-pipe-to-pg_dump-and-pg_restore.patch text/x-patch 12.2 KB