Big image tables maintenance

From: still Learner <stilllearner23(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Big image tables maintenance
Date: 2018-09-17 12:38:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Hi ,

I have a 10 TB size table with multiple bytea columns (image & doc)and
makes 20TB of DB size. I have a couple of issues to maintain the DB.

1. I Would like to separate the image column from the 10TB size table,
place it in a separate schema. The change should not result in any query
change in the application. Is it possible? Doing this it should not affect
the performance.

2. I can't maintain files on File system as the count is huge, so thinking
of using any no-sql mostly mongo-DB, is it recommended? Or PostgreSQL
itself can handle?

3. Taking the backup of 20TB data, is big task. Any more feasible solution
other than online backup/pg_dump?

Each image retrieval is
Currently, we are on pg 9.4 and moving to 10.5 soon.

Thanks,
GJ.